About this Show

Anderson Cooper 360

News/Business. (2013) (CC)

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 12, Steubenville 7, Veronica 6, Ohio 4, Paul 3, Trent Mays 3, Malik Richmond 3, Florida 3, South Carolina 3, Buffalo 3, Taliban 2, Susan Candiotti 2, Gary Tuchman 2, Nra 2, Anderson Cooper 2, Connecticut 2, India 2, Newtown 2, Britain 2, Pakistan 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Anderson Cooper 360    News/Business.  (2013)  (CC)  

    January 5, 2013
    1:00 - 2:00am PST  

1:00am
butterfly in the sky, i can go twice as high ♪ take a look, it's in a book, a reading rainbow ♪ a reading rainbow, a reading rainbow ♪ >> i genuinely fear for his sanity. the great jimmy fallon. thank you so much. >> that's it for us tonight. it's been an extraordinary year. thank you for watching. are charged with raping a teenage girl in a string of
1:01am
parties this summer. an alleged crime where social media then played a part. they show kids laughing about the alleged rape, saying things that are too crass to even say here. but two starkly different narratives are emerging. one puts heavy blame on witnesses for not coming forward and on a community that tolerates bad behavior by local sports heroes. the other says they're exaggerated, the charges unfounded, and the rap on steubenville unfounded. susan, you spoke to the attorney for one of the accused, i understand. what did he tell you? >> that's right. this is the attorney who represents 16-year-old trent mays, who is one of the two defendants in this case. and he tells me that on august 14th, this would be about three days after the alleged attack, that the woman that -- the young lady that prosecutors say is the
1:02am
victim in this case, allegedly sent a text message to the defend, trent mays. and here's what he said it said. i knew you didn't rape me. we talked to him about it. he explained it. here's what the lawyer had to say. >> i would like to bring up an interesting fact that we do plan on presenting at trial, is that my client received a text message the following day from the alleged victim. the alleged victim herself, stating that she said, i know you didn't rape me. >> what? >> she texted my client the next day, stating, quote, i know you didn't rape me. >> do you have that text? >> we do. that's something that is going to be introduced at trial. >> and what -- did he reply? >> that's something that's going to be introduced at trial. yes. >> why do you think she sent that? >> because i don't think she thinks she was raped. >> now, the lawyer says he has that text message.
1:03am
he would not show it to me, but he says it will be used and he intends to use the alleged victim about it. >> wow, that is an explosive new piece of information. the attorney, i understand, also made a claim about the photo, the disturbing photo that has gotten so much attention in online media. what did he say about that? >> that's right. this is a photograph that by now we have all seen. in this photograph, lawyer identified his client as being the person standing on the right. and the other defendant, he said, is standing on the left. that's identified as malik richmond. he said this photograph, he used the term staged, however he says about that photograph, that in fact in it, the girl is not unconscious and that he has a witness, a potential witness, who will testify at trial to that effect, to say that this young lady was not unconscious. i said, what do you mean by using the term staged?
1:04am
he says that what i mean is that if she was -- if she wasn't -- excuse me, if she wasn't unconscious, in other words, she was conscious when that photograph was taken, that would mean that even though at some point during the evening she might have been unconscious, but if she was able to make decisions or offer consent at some time during the night, even though she might have been intoxicated, and he adds that his client and the young lady were dating at the time, and if they had sexual relations and he's not acknowledging that, then nothing would have been illegal. so sanjay, this is something that's also very interesting. remember, his client denies that a rape occurred. sanjay. >> susan, two very potentially important pieces of information. great reporting. thank you so much. in a moment, we're going to
1:05am
talk to the attorney for the alleged victim. first we want to talk to walter madison who represents the other defend, malik richmond. you were probably listening to my colleague, susan candiotti talking about the fact that trent mays claims that the alleged victim sent a text message to him the day after the alleged rape saying, quote, i know you didn't rape me. are you aware -- first of all, were you aware of this text message? >> all parties have that information. unfortunately, well, fortunately, because we respect the integrity of the process, we were silent about that, and we were going to allow that to play itself out in a court of law. unfortunately, the situation has unraveled in a way that it has, and it's created an atmosphere that we feel is unfair. my business is malik richmond, and his trial proceedings are being threatened, quite frankly, hijacked.
1:06am
and the court of public opinion has formed, and their pride has been aroused now because typically we're all raised to protect elderly, women, and children. in this instance, you have an allegation coupled with a video that has zero evidentiary value, a photo out of context, and an allegation of a woman or young child, female child, and a rape violation. people are outraged and inflamed and i understand that. these are really serious matters and we need to go through them in a court of law where the proceedings are protected and there is some fairness to the process and integrity. my issue is not against social media. i think it's wonderful in all that it does for us today, but there is an ugly underbelly that goes along with it. and we're witnessing it now. these efforts by individuals who have no accountability who aren't responsibility for what they say, whether it's true or not, are taking our system and
1:07am
this city under siege. and when that happens, it threatens the very core of our system, which is the greatest in the country, the greatest in the world. those efforts are -- >> i want to be clear on something, if i might. you're saying that all parties actually had knowledge of this text message for some time now. we're just haring about it now. if that's true, why are we hearing about it now then? if you're trying to protect the process, so to speak, why disclose that at all? >> well, you should not have heard about it, first off. and one of the first things i did on behalf of malik richmond is ask the court pursuant to ohio law to suppress all information details, the names of the alleged victim, the accuser in this case, and the accused. and had that been done, the sacred nature of these proceedings would have been in tact. i was rejected in that regard,
1:08am
so here we are and we're dealing with it. discovery, which is where this information was provided, is not uncommon. it happens in every criminal case in the united states of america. and these things are often withheld, if you will, until the appropriate time, at trial. and that time is not in the court of public opinion because people aren't educated on the law. they're not educated on these matters, and it's just inappropriate. >> if it's out there now, just to be clear, so do you disagree with the other attorney representing mr. mays, having put this piece of information out there? >> i don't disagree. i think at some point there has to be balance. and to protect the fairness of the proceedings, you know, this case has to be tried eventually. what has occurred, there has been an atmosphere of intimidation and coercion that has made our witnesses reluctant to come forward. well, if we don't have -- >> you're saying this is a bit of a defensive posture.
1:09am
>> let me ask you about this other thing that susan brought up as well, this photo. >> if i may finish. >> go ahead. >> if i may finish. it is the ethical thing to do on behalf of a client. when the balance of the case has gotten out of control due to parties that have nothing to do with the case. you know, and let me just say, i think this was a problem for everyone's concern. every time that video is shown and now viral, this young lady is subjected to even more embarrassment. and that's exactly what we don't want. okay? no one wants -- everybody is here to seek justice. now, how and which side you stand upon, that's your issue, and that's your prerogative, but at the end of the day, we all want justice. and what we're trying to do is make sure that the integrity is in tact so we can live with whatever result our court of law determines.
1:10am
and that is not in a court of public opinion from any person with an internet -- with internet access. >> i appreciate that. we're trying to get the facts out here as well because i agree with you. i think that's very important. just the text messages, obviously a potentially very important thing. can you, for us, confirm that it actually exists? have you seen this text message yourself? >> that text message is part of discovery. we all have it. the state of ohio has it. they provided it to us. steubenville police department detectives, they found that information. it was provided to them, and by law, they provided it to us. we have that. we were honoring the process, and that was amongst the attorneys and the court. okay? now how it got, the reason you're hearing about it -- >> i apologize. there's a little bit of a delay. let me just ask you. i think i understood your answer s on that.
1:11am
if i could ask you about the photo showing the alleged victim. the insinuation it was staged. you were on cnn and raised questions about that photo. what can you tell us about that claim that the photo was staged? >> well, the accuser in the picture, it's out of context. a photo is just a frame. it's just one frame taken at whatever shutter speed that camera was operating. it doesn't depict the entire context of what was going on at that particular moment. and again, as part of discovery, there's additional information that would offer context, okay, that would offer context and circumstance before, during, and after that photo was taken, that i think would have the world view it in a different light. okay? but the way it's been promoted, which i certainly understand, would lead one to draw a very negative inference. and that i can't control and that's not my business to
1:12am
control, but again, the fairness is what i'm concerned most about. >> all right, mr. madison, i appreciate that. obviously, you're going to have to read into what you're saying a little bit here in terms of the context, but as more details emerge, hopefully we'll have you back on. i want to talk to the other side as well. the alleged victim's attorney, bob fitzsimmons joins us by phone now. i want you to respond a little bit to what you have just heard, but let me just ask, how is this young woman -- how is she doing and how is her family holding up with all this? >> well, sanjay, it's been a difficult time for the family. this young girl went through a very horrific event, and her family has also gone through it, and the media attention that's been devoted to this since that time has just been pretty much kind of a reliving of it. and i think we lose sight, this is a 16-year-old girl. she's a high school kid,
1:13am
basically, and fortunately, she's been able to go back to school. she's actually participated in an athletic event, on a team sport this fall. but there are many moments that this family has, the mom and dad, grandparents are very involved, kind of watching over her, hovering over her, almost every movement, and there have been many days that they find her, that she's upset, crying, from something that another student says or a friend of hers says or she reads about it or hears something on the news. this is kind of unparalleled, the news attention this story has gathered. and we lose sight of it, we do have a young girl. this is everybody's daughter that's out there that could happen to any family. and mom and dad that has to go through something like this and grandparents that are caring. it's tear jerking. it is to watch them go through
1:14am
it. >> all right, i have three daughters myself, and it's painful to read some of this. i know you don't want to get, and haven't wanted to get into some of the specifics of this, but i did want to give you the opportunity to respond to some claims by one of the attorneys, trenton mays, you heard the report by susan candiotti that the alleged victim texted mays soon after, and said, quote, i know you didn't rape me. do you have a comment on that? >> i take attorney madison, i respect what he said about not commenting on evidence and trying not to try your cases in the media. what he said, i have respect for what he said. he's representing a young man, also, whose live and liberty is at stake, as is mr. newman with his client. i have great respect for those individuals, and they have an obligation and a duty to put out evidence. it's a case, sanjay, and it's not just one text or whatever.
1:15am
i'm not going to comment upon the evidence, but i do know, i'm not a participant, i represent the family, the state of ohio actually is the prosecuting authority bringing it. but you saw the picture. and i know the arguments. i have been there in court. you can talk about frames and things like that. picture speaks -- a picture speaks 1,000 words. this girl was unconscious. she wouldn't have the ability or the knowledge to text to even say that to one of the defends because she wouldn't know. the allegations in this case are not that this was a person who knew what was happening to her. it's that she was so unconscious that she didn't know what happened. and a lot of that information that we have now learned from some of the media sources and the other sources that have come about with evidence, have shown that much of this was revealed days after, maybe even weeks after, as to really what happened. this young girl was unconscious,
1:16am
so she wouldn't have the ability to know whether she was raped or not on the day after or two days after, three, whatever the timing of that was. we also don't know, and we don't know whether the defendants were texting, trying to coerce or talk people into making statements or trying to build up a defense for themselves after they started realizing this thing kind of unfolded and you're aware of that. kind of unfolded and then it just grew beyond all proportions we ever thought with the pictures and the graphic descriptions of the boy that was on the video the other day talking about this, on that particular night. this young lady didn't know what happened. that's what i believe that the case is about. >> yeah, i imagine it is hard from a single static photograph to determine precisely what is going on, consciousness, level of consciousness, all of that, but mr. fitzsimmons, i appreciate you joining us and talking about it.
1:17am
>> you're welcome. >> as you have seen by now, steubenville, ohio, is sharply divided. gary tuchman is there talking to people or at least trying to talk to them. he joins us now. gary? >> reporter: sanjay, this is not only a story of an alleged sadistic rape but its nexus with social media and high school football. and that's because steubenville, ohio, is a high school football hotbed, and the two young men arrested for allegedly raping this girl were high school football stars. this city, the big reds, steubenville high school big red football team is a big deal here. they won three state championships, two undefeated seasons recently, and their coach is absolutely a legend here. the coach's name is reno sacoch, he's such a legend that the 10,000-seat stadium which is a huge size for a high school stadium, is called reno stadium. we wanted to talk to the coach because the two young men arrested for the alleged rape
1:18am
were suspended after they were arrested, but at least two other football players were in the room when the young girl were allegedly raped, and they were not suspended. they played football for at least eight weeks. we wanted to find out from the coach why he didn't suspend the players, what he knew when he knew. he was home, but he only opened the door a crack. i'm gary tuchman with cnn. i wanted to ask you about your players on your team, when you heard about this case, did you take any action? >> no comment. you'll have to see my superintendent. >> tell me if you took any action with the football players? >> so he told us to talk to the superintendent of schools. we called the superintendant, we talked to his wife, she said he would call us back. he did not call us back. there are many authority figures here in steubenville, ohio, who are figuring out how to play their cards.
1:19am
sanjay. >> gary, thanks. a population of about 20,000, i think, in steubenville, ohio. after the attempt to talk to the coach, we got a statement from someone claiming to represent him. it claims after last night's inaccurate report on cnn's anderson cooper show regarding recent events, through a representative, i offered to do an interview add home. they refused to allow me that chance. today, after it was made clear to them i would only do a live interview, a cnn interviewer knocked on my door and asked to tape an interview. i declined. we look forward to the proper opportunities to correct the many inaccuracies. >> through the same representative, the coach put demands on the offer of the live interview, and that's why we declined. the coach is free to come on the program anytime, but without conditions. there's a lot more happening tonight.
1:20am
up next, with everyone now focused on preventing another gun massacre like the one in newtown, connecticut, we'll tell you about a revision in the health care format that critics say could shut down research on public health consequences of gun ownership.
1:21am
1:22am
sandy hook elementary students went back to school this week in a different building, and in some ways a very different world. also today, the wounded survivor of another mass shooting, former congresswoman gabby giffords paid a visit to newtown, connecticut. take a look, the moment captured by a white house photographer when president obama got word of the newtown massacre. the president called it the worst day of his presidency. consequently, he's made gun control a key term of his second agenda, but you may not be aware the health care bill contains a little known item ability guns. it bars doctors from collecting data about their patients' gun use.
1:23am
consider that merely owning a gun increases your chances of homicide and suicide, it's not such a strange thing to study, but the nra objected. we wanted to ask them why, but they declined to come on "360." we're joined by peter from the "post" who has been reporting the story. as a doctor and a journalist, i was surprised to read about the provisions in the affordable care act. you have been investigating this for a while. how did it get into the bill specifically? what did you discover about that? >> the nra, as you know, is a powerful organization on capitol hill. they spent a lot of money on lobbying, and they did lobby congress and the senate specifically in the final days of the health care debate back in 2010, and they got the provision added. it's not a very long provision, but they got it added on the senate floor at the end. it was senator reid, harry reid, the majority leader, who put it in. >> i have read this recently again.
1:24am
it doesn't outright forbid, as far as i can tell, a doctor or prevention program from asking a patient if they own a firearm, but it does say they can't write it down, they can't provide data to agencies for research purposes, and you say that has been the nra's focus since the 1990s? >> yes, in this case, the nra did speak to us when we did this story. they said that their concern was that insurance companies if there was a database collected as part of the law, insurance companies would discriminate against gun owners. the senators who put it in said they didn't deal with the nra, that they had different intentions. they just thought that by putting this provision in, they would eliminate the chance that the nra and gun rights supporters would oppose the bill. so the nra has a long history of
1:25am
targeting research into gun safety, in fact, going back to the 1990s, they lobbied congress to limit, severely restrict funding to the centers for disease control, after it had some -- you cited some data, i think that's probably from the old cdc studies. when those came out, the nra was upset and got congress to limit the funding. that's been a goal ever since because the nra argues those studies are biased and politically motivated. >> they talk about being 2.7 times more likely to be involved with homicide, 4.5 times or so more likely to be involved with suicide. one of the things about the whole notion of discrimination based on gun ownership, the affordable care act specifically says insurance companies can't discriminate period against gun owners or anybody, and we couldn't find evidence of that ever even being a problem. from the senators you have spoken to, is the broader issue that the nra lobbied for this because they want to separate guns from being a health issue? >> they argue, they say guns should not be considered a
1:26am
public health issue. they felt that researchers and doctors at the cdc and in the government have looked at guns as a pathogen, and they say that's unfair, that gun rights are protected in the second amendment, and that it shouldn't be that way. now, what is interesting is now that the obama administration is starting to look at, and congress are starting to look at possibly new gun laws, they're looking for data to support something that might actually work, and the data they say doesn't exist because of these restrictions over the years that have been placed on gun research.
1:27am
>> you know, we reached out to hhs as well for clarification on these provisions, what they mean, how they would affect patients. they didn't comment. i'm curious, have you talked about the possibility of this being taken out of the health care bill? >> the white house really
1:28am
directs questions to the senate. a lot of people we called on the administration and the hill weren't even aware of this provision until we brought it to their attention. it had gotten a little bit of coverage but no one had put it together in a big way. a bunch of medical groups, especially pediatricians, because they ask about gun ownership in the homes and recommend safety measures. they were concern said and they brought their concerns to the administration and have asked or -- i'm sorry, gun safety or anything to do with guns at all. so that's a little frightening. >> in florida last year, and people may not know about this, either, a law was pushed through by the governor making it a crime, if i got this correctly, for doctors to even ask a patient if they owned a gun. people should listen again, a crime for asking -- a federal judged overruled that, but now the governor has vowed to appeal this, and seven other states are enacting similar laws. you live in florida, have read a lot about that. what can you tell us about that? >> this goes a step further. at least with the health care law, the aca, there really
1:29am
weren't any teeth. there was no punishment if you didn't pass -- if you asked about guns or if you had an issue with guns. with the florida law, it's very different. first off, you can ask only if you think there might be a problem. well, who can determine what's relevant medical problem where you should ask about guns? it's very squishy territory. the other problem is the fine. $5,000 for an unintended violation, up to $40,000 fine for a willful violation. that's scary. so it's going to make physicians not want to ask about guns. you know, i find it very ironic that the nra wants to create a list of all the people who have mental health illnesses, create a database, but they don't want physicians to ask mentally ill
1:30am
patients if they have fire arms, it doesn't make sense to me. >> you say simply having the conversation can thwart, diminish the homicides and suicides we have been talking about. >> oh, absolutely.
1:31am
>> i want to point out something along those lines, especially with regard to numbers, especially for our children. take a look at these numbers. these are specifically from the cdc, 5,740 children and teens were killed in 2008 and 2009 from guns. more than 34,000 were injured during that same time, and some
1:32am
1:33am
1:34am
1:35am
elsewhere, though, another milestone for the pakistani teenager shot in the head by taliban gunmen, malala yousafzai walked out of a london hospital, a big step forward on the road to recovery. and just ahead, we'll tell you what's next in her treatment and also how authorities plan to protect her from the taliban moving forward. she was shot in the head, the bullet grazed her brain. she's become an international symbol of courage. her crusade for girls' education is what made her a target of the taliban. but she's never backed down from their threats. in the next month, they're going to replace a section of her scattered skull. amazing how far she's come, and matthew chance joins me now. i think you would agree, it's pretty remarkable to look at those images. do we know what malala and her family are planning to do now? are they planning to stay in britain, at least for the foreseeable future? >> it is amazing. nobody thought she would be able to get up so quickly from the terrible injuries she sustained. it's interesting, that question,
1:36am
because over the past couple of days, the pakistan government has announced it's given a job
1:37am
to malala yousafzai's dad, the job as the education attache in the pakistani consulate in birmingham, which is right where the hospital is. and that's for the next three years. malala obviously has to go through a lot of treatment, so that enables the family at least temporarily to stay in britain for the next three years. even though the father says ultimately he wants to go back to pakistan, there is this huge threat hanging over his family. the taliban say still they're going to finish off the job, as it were, they're still going to try to kill malala yousafzai if she goes back. so my suspicion is she may stay there for a significant period of time. >> along those lines, what is
1:38am
the security or protection for her, given this vow by the taliban to continue to try and find her and kill her?
1:39am
1:40am
1:41am
a "360 follow" now. the u.s. supreme court today agreed to decide who will get to raise this little girl. her name is veronica. she's 3 years old and she's at the center of this adoption battle we have been following along for months. this video here was taken about a year ago. new year's eve 2011. that's the night veronica's biological father, dustin brown, took her home. it was the first time they had met. veronica was 2 years old at the time. until that night, she had lived in the south carolina home with her adoptive parents, matt and melanie capoblanco. they watched her come into this world. matt cut her umbilical cord, and they took her home from the
1:42am
hospital. by all accounts, in court records, they gave her a warm and loving home. but the court ruled they had to give her up. why? her biological father is a member of the cherokee nation. it's based on a law designed to make sure that native american children are adopted by indian families. in a statement today, veronica's adoptive parents said we're so incredibly grateful to the justices for agreeing to hear our case. it's been an extremely difficult year, but we now have a renewed sense of faith in our legal system. the court had denied their appeal. their legal options would have been pretty much exhausted. paul is part of their legal team, and we spoke earlier. paul, first off, a big day, obviously, for you and the family as well. i want to get your reaction to this news. are you surprised by it? i know you hoped for it, but did you expect the supreme court would take this on? >> we were hopeful that the supreme court would take the case, but you have to understand when you're asking the supreme court to take a case, the odds are literally 1 in 1,000 they'll
1:43am
take a case. so we were confident throughout, but we were, i have to say, pleasantly surprised that the court took the case. >> when you look at the indian child welfare act which has been on the books for a long time, what was the intent? what was it intended to protect or do? >> well, it was intended to address a very serious problem, which was, you had a number of children being born on indian lands, on reservations, who were being kind of systematically given up for adoption, and that's the real concern that congress addressed. it was worried about the futures of the tribe and this kind of almost this problem of children being taken from the reservations. obviously what you have in this case is quite a bit different because you have a situation where you have a non-native american birth mother and a native american birth father, but one who is not living on the
1:44am
reservation or on indian land. it's quite different from the principal concern that motivated congress back in the '70s. >> just to reiterate, the father is native american. the biological father. the biological mother is not, but you say but for the fact that baby veronica has native american blood and a native american birth father, she would have remained with her adoptive parents. so when you look at the south carolina supreme court decision, what were the rights of the adoptive parents? >> well, the adoptive parents, you know, have the right to continue to have custody under south carolina law, if doing so is in the best interest of the child. again, my client is the guardian ad litem who was appointed specifically for the purpose of protecting the best interests of the child. >> and to be clear, the family, they took veronica home from the hospital, they cut the umbilical
1:45am
cord. so obviously, her whole life, as you say, has been with them. the supreme court has dealt with a similar case before, back in 1989. in that case, they ruled in favor of the tribal council, but you say this case is different. how so? >> that was a case that involved a couple who were both native american, who were domiciles on an indian reservation and basically left the indian reservation to give up their twins for adoption. that is the classic case that congress was concerned about when it passed this statute. here, you have a child who really has no direct connection to the reservation or indian lands because even the native american father isn't domiciled on the reservation, so her only connection to the native americans is through the birth father, and because the birth father, during the pregnancy, terminated his parental rights,
1:46am
if you were just looking at this as a matter of state law, he would be no different than a sperm donor. he would not have really any claim to interfere with the adoption procedures. so everything in the birth father's claim here, all of it stems from this federal law. >> sort of a subjective question. justice scalia talking about the 1989 case we were just talking about. he said that decision, having to turn the child over to the tribal council, was one of the
1:47am
toughest he ever had to make on the bench. what do you make of that? as you're getting ready to argue this case in front of the court? >> well, it's a really interesting comment that he said that. he's been on the court for 25 years. and for him to think back and kind of remember one of these cases as one of the most kind of personally difficult to decide, i think is really telling, and what i think it shows is that the supreme court is used to deciding cases that are by and large unemotional disputes about the meaning of federal statutes. and this case has that. i mean, at the bottom, the reason the court took this case was not because they were very, very interested in the individual custody issue. they took this case because there are difficult issues of federal law on which courts have divided. at the same time, there's no denying this is a very emotional case and much more emotionally charged than the average supreme court dispute. >> okay, paul, thank you so much for joining us. >> my pleasure. thank you. we got an update now to that horrifying story out of india. a 23-year-old woman who died after being raped and beaten by
1:48am
several men on a bus, now, for the first time, her boyfriend who was with her on the bus, is speaking out. what he's saying about the attack, next. >> the boyfriend of the 23-year-old woman killed in a gang rape in new delhi, india,
1:49am
is speaking out. he told afp he was on the bus with her when the nearly hour long attack took place last month. orde r now analso get this shredder to keep your documents out of the wrong hands-- a $29 dollar value, free. get protected now. call the number on your screen or go to lifelock.com to try lifelock protection risk free for a full 60 days. use promo code: gethelp. plus get this document shredder free-- but only if you act right now. call the number on your screen now! [ male announcer ] break the grip of back or arthritis pain
1:50am
with odor free aspercreme. powerful medicine relieves pain fast, with no odor. so all you notice is relief. aspercreme.
1:51am
>> adele has done it again. for the second year in a row her album "21" was the top selling album. >> and the "new york times" is reporting that lance armstrong is weighing a public confession. the paper quoting several people with direct knowledge of the people. he wants to persuade anti-doping officials to undo his lifetime cycling ban so he can compete again. sanjay?
1:52am
we have been counting down the top ten ridiculists of 2012. tonight, it's number one. that's up next.
1:53am
1:54am
1:55am
well, it's that time. we've been counting down the top ten ridiculists of the year based on your votes. tonight, we're up to number one. it features a little known holiday, a repentant anderson cooper, and an invitation for anderson we thought we would never hear.
1:56am
take a look at your choice for the best ridiculist of 2012. >> tyke now for the ridiculist. i'm adding myself again for losing it on air again. on last night's ridiculist. we added anyone who missed out on dyngas day, a little known holiday, sounds like a lot of fun. for the record, i didn't put the holiday itself on the ridiculist, it was anyone who missed out on the holiday, for the record. i started giggling about halfway through last night's ridiculist. >> the quirkily little rituals include boys sprinkling girls they fancy with water and the girls striking back with a tap from a pursy willow branch. [ giggling ] >> i'm not going to let you do this.
1:57am
so stupid. i'm really so stupid. god, come on. come on. this is torture. i just got to let it out. just let it out. >> all right, now, if you notice in the midst of the giggle fit, i said something like this is so stupid, so stupid. i think i said it twice. some people, especially folks in the buffalo area, seemed to
1:58am
think i was calling dyngas day stupid. i absolutely was not. i was saying my giggle fit was so stupid, and it was. i also said it was torture at one point. i wasn't calling dyngas day torture. i said it was stupid because it's stupid that a grown man giggles like a 13-year-old girl meeting justin bieber for the first time, and i think it's stupid that i can't stop giggling once i start, and it's not the first time i have had a giggle fit. take a look. >> part two. i know you got it, but -- all right. sorry. [ giggling ] >> in buffalo, new york, the dyngas day capital of the world, today, there was actually a demonstration called. theyeld a pussy willow pride
1:59am
rally. if you notice, there's a sign there that reads cooper is a blooper. a saying which by the way i found funny in third grade and i still find funny to this day. anyway, what makes me sad is i really hope those people at that demonstration know i was not calling dyngas day stupid. there are tons of quirky and little known celebrations in this country and i enjoy them. it's part of what makes this country so great. because i was legitimately sad that i upset people in buffalo and elsewhere, i invited them on the program. thank you very much for being on with me. i just want to explain, and make sure you understand that when i said it's so stupid, i was giggling and talking about myself giggling yet again. >> we accept your apology, mr. cooper, graciously, we do. as g